Yoga For The First Energy Center
Updated: Mar 16
The first energy center, which is also known as Muladhara or the root chakra, is known to be located at the perineum or the coccyx's tip. We can use our Yoga practise to help balance and bring awareness to this beautiful energy center. In this article, I will share the purpose of the first energy center with you, along with seven poses that can help bring more balance and grounding into the body and mind.
"The most precise location of Muladhara chakra is in the centre of the perineum in men, between the anus and testicles, and at the tip of the cervix in women" Mary Horsley
THE PURPOSE OF THE FIRST ENERGY CENTER / MULADHARA
This first energy center is connected to our security and self-preservation. When this first energy center is balanced, we feel grounded within the body and mind and anchored and secure like a tree's roots going down deep into the earth.
This first energy center controls the flight and fight response, and when it is unbalanced, it can result in us feeling fear, insecure and out of touch with nature. Working with this first center can allow us to transcend through fear, moving into feeling secure and grounded on the earth plane.
"When the energy in Muladhara is balanced we feel safe and supported and are respectful of the earth. We are secure enough to welcome change, feeling we will be supported by mother earth, trusting that the next meal will come." Mary Horsley
• Attuned with nature
Unbalanced or Blocked Energy
• Out of touch with nature
Muladhara chakra, the first energy center, vibrates at the lowest vibration. It is the most dense of all the energy centers, but understanding the importance of working with this first energy center keeps us grounded and stable through our Journey with Yoga, especially as we move through the other energy centers.
The first energy center is known to be the abode of kundalini energy, also known as Shakti. It lies at the base of the spine like a coiled snake dormant ready to be awoken so we can move through the journey of spiritual awakening.
SEVEN POSES TO BALANCE THE FIRST ENERGY CENTER
Below are seven Yoga poses that are great for balancing the first energy center Muladhara and a step by step directions on how to do each one of them.
1. CHILD POSE / BALASANA (variation)
* Arrive onto all fours with knees under hips and wrists under shoulders.
* If comfortable part the knees a little wider than hips.
* Inhale - Exhale and sink the sit bones to the heels.
* As you move the hips back place the forearms on the floor and gaze through the palms.
* Inhale bring the hips back back up and shoulders over wrists.
* Repeat another two times.
2. DOWNWARD FACING DOG / ADHO MUKHA SVANASANA
* From all fours lift the knees.
* Push into the hands and lift the sit bones to the sky.
* Send the chest through the shoulders.
* Allow your back to be one long line.
* Bend one knee deep, why one leg is straight and switch a few times.
* When you have had a few breaths come down and rest in child's pose above.
3. SQUAT / MALASANA
* Stand with the feet around hip with in distance.
* Turn the toes out to the corners of the mat.
* Inhale - Exhale and sink the hips down to the heels.
* Let the heels lift if they need too.
* Make sure the knees are going in the direction of the second toes.
* Inhale and exhale here as long as you feel comfortable before coming out.
4. MOUNTAIN POSE / TADASANA
* Stand with the feet hip width and parallel.
* Push energy into the feet, feeling the whole foot grounded, spread the toes.
* Let the crown of the head float up to the sky.
* Chin parallel to the floor.
* Let the palms turn forward.
* Open the chest by drawing the shoulders down the back.
* Gentle tuck the lower belly.
* Feel a grounding though the feet and a floating and lifting through the crown.
*Inhale and exhale here a few rounds.
5. WARRIOR 2 II / VIRABHADRASANA II
* Extend the feet wider than the shoulders.
* Turn the right toes towards the right
* Keep the left foot parallel, and if comfortable push the heel slightly further way.
* Have the right heel inline with the left instep of the foot.
* Inhale raise the arms shoulder width.
* Exhale bend the right knee on top of the ankle of behind it.
* Be mindful the knee is opening and you can see your big toe.
* Inhale and exhale a few breaths before changing side.
6. WIDE LEG FORWARD FOLD / PRASARITA PADOTTANASANA
* Extend the feet wide than hip width and parallel.
* Bring the hands to the hips and inhale as you expand the chest.
* Exhale and hinge from the hips forward.
* Bend the knees if required.
* Release the hands underneath the shoulders.
* Find a few breaths as you hold the forward fold.
7. EASY POSE / SUKHASANA
* Sit down on the sit bones
* Cross one ankle in front of the other
* Rest the hands on the knees palms face up or down in chin Mudra
* Bring cushions or blocks underneath the seat if this is uncomfortable for the hips or ankles.
* Allow the spine to float up to the sky.
* Draw the shoulders gently down the back opening the chest.
* Rest with the awareness on some deep long slow inhales and exhales.
FOLLOW ALONG - FIRST ENERGY CENTER YOGA PRACTICE FOR 30 MINUTES
To explore these postures in a follow along Yoga practice join me in the video below where we explore the first energy center through this 30 minute Yoga class at home.